FILM & PANEL DISCUSSION
The Big Deal:
Is our democracy for sale?
A powerful doco central to reforming Australia’s democracy.
Q&A with Craig Reucassel, Saffron Zomer and Tim Costello AO | Tuesday 12 October, 5pm | ONLINE
A special showing and panel discussion hosted by Progressive Port Phillip for our local community.
- A secret fund to pay legal costs for a Member of Parliament
- A spam text campaign to influence your vote
- Opulent gifts and dinners bestowed on MPs by their local casino
They are part of a system of donations and influence eating away at our democracy. The uncomfortable truth is that big money is seeking to have a big say in our democracy. This outstanding new movie lifts the lid on this major threat.
When you order a ticket, Progressive Port Phillip will send you a link to see the movie a couple of days ahead of the webinar, so you can watch it in your own time. And please note access to the film is being provided free of charge.Then, join the online panel discussion and Q&A with Craig Reucassel (film Director), Saffron Zomer (Director of the Australian Democracy Network) and Tim Costello AO (former St Kilda Mayor, advocate for civil society and integrity). With more exciting guests to be announced.
To help change the system check out Australian Democracy Network.
Essential information about this event
This film is central to reforming Australia’s democracy. Craig Reucassel (War on Waste) teams up with Christiaan Van Vuuren to make this feature documentary about the frightening extent to which money has infiltrated politics in Australia.
Big Deal exposes the influence dirty political donations can have on our democracy – and provides inspiration for wholesale reform.
Online screening and Q&A. How to take part:
- Upon ordering your ticket, you'll receive an invitation and Zoom link to the Q&A panel discussion on Tuesday 12 October, 5-6pm. Please note, Progressive Port Phillip is providing free access to the film and to the panel discussion.
- You'll receive a link to watch Big Deal via email at least 48 hours before the event. You can watch the documentary at any time during that 48 hours. The film runs for approx. 100 minutes. It is best viewed in its entirety. Make sure you have watched it before 5pm on Tuesday 12 October.
- Join us for the panel discussion 5-6pm on Tuesday 12 October.
- Craig Reucassel: Director of Big Deal
- Saffron Zomer: Australian Democracy Network
- Tim Costello AO (former St Kilda Mayor, advocate for civil society and integrity)
- More guests to be announced.
This event is organised by Progressive Port Phillip in partnership with the Big Deal producers and funders.