For a creative, compassionate community and a responsive, efficient Council
Progressive Port Phillip is a community campaign for stronger local democracy and a better future for our Port Phillip community. Together, we champion a generous, equitable, environmentally sustainable future deeply informed by everyone in the City of Port Phillip.
Progressive Port Phillip is guided by three overarching concerns/principles:
SOCIAL JUSTICE: Supporting equity and the common good
ENVIRONMENT: Collective action for a sustainable future
COMMUNITY: Strengthening local democracy
They are at the heart of all our activities and advocacy.
Supporting equity and the common good:
Fighting for a caring and just City that is a home for all, with:
- generous services for older residents, people with disabilities, mother and children, including affordable, high-quality childcare and vital libraries;
- ongoing investment in new and renewed social housing;
- a celebrated and diverse arts community;
- networks of parks, safe foot paths and bike paths;
- vibrant neighbourhood economies, equitably supported to ensure survival of key sectors, including micro businesses and not-for-profits that meet local needs and create local jobs.
Collective action for a sustainable future:
Pushing hard to address climate change urgently on all fronts to:
- challenge resistance to an environmentally sustainable future;
- re-imagine waste management and recycling to achieve a zero waste and circular economy that turns waste into a useful resource;
- completely convert to renewable energy to achieve a zero-carbon community;
- capture and re-use water, and instigate widespread tree planting to become a cool, climate adapted community.
Strengthening local democracy:
Engaging the community in setting Council directions and policies so that it:
- genuinely incorporates people in decisions for our community;
- demonstrates sound governance and strong finances, and is responsive and efficient;
- builds marvellous community assets;
- acts always in the interests of future generations as much as for the present.
Join us in campaigning for the future we need to build right now.